Sunday, October 7, 2007

Fashion Bugs

Women claim to dress for men. Men claim that women dress for other women. When you put your clothes on in the morning, for whom are you dressing?

Oh, plenty of women like me (homemaker bloggers) will talk about modesty, and I'm sure everyone's got their tips. Personally, it seem to me that some outfits are immodest for all women, while others are immodest for some and not others depending on body shape and size. Each woman has to develop her own awareness of what she should and should not wear. I'd like to introduce a method to figuring this out, and the main idea behind the method is to consider for whom you are dressing.

This came to my mind because today, this Sunday morning, I am dressing for a small group of 10-year-old girls.

I didn't make this dress for them, I made it for me. I used this pattern, a Simplicity costume pattern.



My particular gown is made up like the yellow flowered dress, only my material is a lavender muslin overlaid with lavender eyelet. The lace trimmings are white eyelet, like the picture, and the trim ribbon is dark purple. I made it because it's pretty and comfortable and I love long skirts and close-fitting bodices.

As I was walking through the church after the morning service one day, I realized that I'd caught the attention of a group of girls. I turned and smiled at them, and their 'leader' told me what they'd all apparently been whispering about.

"We love your dress. We think it's beautiful. It reminds us of 'Felicity'."

Felicity is one of the "American Girl" dolls, her story set in colonial times. I suppose I can see the resemblance.






I did a curtsey and thanked them. :) To me, that was a compliment. They were thrilled, and I hear them every time I wear this dress to church. "Oh! You're wearing your 'Felicity dress'!"

When you're dressing for a small group of 10-year-old girls, you don't wear low-cut shirts or skin-tight jeans. You don't wear skirts with slits up to mid-thigh. What pleases them most is your best princess look, the lovely dresses they so adore filled out as only their Barbies can. And it makes such a good impression on them to see women daring to do so.

Lest you think I'm a skirts-only person, I own and wear jeans and sweatpants as well. I have several t-shirts, including my "shocking" black Epica bandshirt and a few tank tops for summertime. My closet is quite eclectic. But I do love those vintage dresses.

6 comments:

  1. This is such an adorable dress! I'd *love* to make something like this for me when I learn to sew better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It isn't too difficult on the scale of costume patterns, luckily. It uses darts to shape the bodice, but I found darts relatively easy to figure out. Ribbon trim isn't necessary unless you want it that way. Probably the most difficult part of it is the zipper, which for me personally is a real pain.

    No elastic, no buttonholes.

    I got a load of cloth from a couple people who died or moved away and left it behind, so I've got plenty of winter-sewing projects to do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with you! I have been thinking this same thing recently, in regards to what we wear to church. I wonder if other people in our parish even stop to think they're going to God's house.

    God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so cute! I love feminine things. I tried going all skirts/dresses for a while (and it's still my ideal) but I have to wear pants or shorts to the gym so I find myself stuck in them quite a lot.

    I know what you mean about keeping in mind who you're dressing for. At home, I sometimes do wear immodest clothing if I know I'm not going out that day, because my husband prefers it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what an amazing post. "10 year old girls like your best princess look". An amazing thought. My four year old loves all things "princess" and I can imagine she'd love some real dresses (and me too). However, I can barely sew a straight seam, and have absolutely never enjoyed sewing. You are blessed ! However I will see if I can purchase more dresses for both of us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! I haven't commented before, but just wanted to say ... wow, what a beautiful dress! I agree with the little girls ... you DO look like Felicity Merriman! :-> And how adorable that they notice and love your dress and that you wear it for them!

    ReplyDelete