Thursday, September 11, 2008

9/11 celebration

This morning, I lit candles on the dining room table, which I do for special days or when I just feel like it. I did it today for 9/11, for the planes and the towers and the people and the silent skies for weeks afterwards.

That isn't the extent of my observance, though.

9/11 isn't just a day to solemnly read names of the dead, to mourn the towers, and to watch the flaming footage again and again and again. It's more than that now, as we hit Year 7 after the first event and take a look at what has and hasn't happened.

Civilians in many other countries live in fear.. or despite the fear.. of terrorist attack. They know any place they go could suddenly end up engulfed in flames, shrapnel flying in all directions. They know they are part of a war zone that, unlike the usual gentlemanly rules of war, is targeted at them.

On 9/11, those terrorists tried to make us one of those places. They failed.

Now, this is the day we acknowledge that. This day reminds us that we struck back. Bin Laden said "Submit" and we said "Submit THIS!" So today I light candles in the morning and then I say "Submit this!"

I'm about to head out to do my foodshopping without fear, knowing that whatever awaits me there, a suicide vest will not even be a remote possibility. Then I'm going to go home and cook a good party dinner. We're going to eat pork! I don't often have pig products just because my stomach doesn't always take to it well, but today is different! Today is the day we eat pork and celebrate, because we are not afraid.

I won't be watching any news/television broadcasts, but we might put on a movie or play video games later.

Anybody who wishes to 'steal my idea' may do so with utter impunity. Remember. Don't forget. Don't lose sight of it. But don't despair, and grieve only as befits you. Then go find your own way of saying "Submit this!"

No comments:

Post a Comment