Thursday, November 6, 2008

What should we do now?

As some of those who follow this blog might have guessed by some of my previous posts, I am not a hard-left liberal Democrat, which means my politics are not those of our president-elect. Though my politics lean towards Libertarian, my actual worldview is probably best described as Conservative Christian. Yesterday was not a very nice day for Conservative Christians.

I had my moment of despair, an entire hour early in the morning, and I pulled together. That's something that the Conservative Christian does better than many other worldviews. God is still in control, and we are not to worry unduly about the future, because it will take care of itself. God gives us the grace we need to deal with our current situation, and when I have to I can focus very small until I reach the point where I know what to do next. Sometimes in these troubled times that focus narrows down to "take the clothes out of the washing machine", which I do. I immediately begin to feel better.

Then I began hearing from other troubled friends, some conservative, some Christian, some moderate, some liberal. Some were telling me that everything would work out fine now because they had faith in their candidate's economic plan. As a conservative, I find his plan makes no realistic sense, so that was not much help. A fellow Conservative Christian reminded me that God is on His throne and hasn't stopped caring for us, and that is the word I began to spread, because that's how we think.

So for those who have wandered, like I did until my fellows reminded me, into the mire of worldly fears and frantic worries, what should we do now?

Live.

I might not know what to do if my taxes are raised, but I know that the laundry needs doing, and there's a package of sugar cookie dough that is going to go bad if it's not used, and my son needs his homeschooling lesson done. My mother's car is being repaired and I'm providing rides for her meanwhile. So I can't just sit paralyzed with fears that God did not mean for me to carry; I need to hand those fears over to Him along with my entire future, and go get ready for the present trial.

And as I do I realize that the present trial isn't really all that bad. Sugar cookies are fun to roll out and decorate with my son. My mother's a great conversationalist and we're good friends, so no car ride with her is ever dull or painful. The laundry is laundry, no worse than it's ever been, and there is such a good feeling when I know my clothing is clean and in it's drawers.

How will Conservative Christians live for the next few years, with liberal extremism in office? Sure, it can be done. I'll try to push myself to write the thoughts always swirling in my head and tell you more about how in the coming days. But for right now, I simply say this: Work, play, laugh, love, and learn. The presidential election did not take away your home or vanish your to-do list. Prepare for winter and save your money. God will take care of the future.

1 comment:

  1. You have a good outlook.

    I'll add this - We will approach this the same way we approached life after 9/11.

    We got up, and we kept living our lives, and went on to prove that Conservatism is not dead. (Arguably it was never on the Ballot. Palin was mostly, but McCain sure wasn't.) There have been people thinking that we need a third party, a "Conservative" party. And they might be right. We'll see. Til then, we'll just keep living our lives, while trying to educate people - because thats how Conservative message gets out.

    Its really the only way. Today, there is change. What change that will be we have yet to see - but there's not much use in fretting about that which we cannot change. There will be a time when the balance will shift again.

    Til then we just keep, keeping on keeping on.

    Just my two cents.

    -Jon

    ReplyDelete