Monday, June 22, 2009

Loving our healthcare system

So I called the hospital in trepidation to discuss payment options for what my private insurance didn't cover in my daughter's birth. I gave the woman the account numbers, and she quoted me a very reasonable monthly payment and told me that if I needed it lower, they had another company they could outsource me to. I asked her if I could start next month, as everything beyond food/electricity/etc. for this month had gone to a car repair, and she said I could. I told her I could make these payments and thanked her for her help.

My hospital stay was excellent. Due to complications during the birth, the staff had to act quickly, professionally, and competently. They did. As a result, in a situation where babies have died or been brain-damaged, mine came out perfectly healthy. (They accelerated delivery under the correct suspicion that the cord was around her neck. She came out blue, but did not need resuscitation and shows no sign of oxygen deprivation.)

Thanks to our current healthcare system, and I admit it could use some work, I was able to afford the best of care. That's right, this working-class/lower-middle-class (how do I figure out which one I'm in?) was given access to the best medical care. There was no tier system, like they have in Holland, in which lower-wage workers have lesser levels of coverage. There was no government decision on whether my baby was viable enough to deserve care, as there is in England. There was no lack of diagnostic machinery, as there is in Canada.

Why on earth would I be interested in Obama patterning our healthcare after any of these countries? The way things are now, the lower class (as long as they aren't unfortunate enough to fall under the government care that liberals want to expand for all of us) can afford and receive medical care. The trick is that you have to be willing to do as I have done, to call, to explain what you can pay, and to set up a plan. You have to be willing to talk to them and let them know of your situation. The help is readily there, if you care to... 'Look' may be too strong a word. If you care to even speak.

I said before that it could use some help. I can think of two models that would be an improvement over the current setup.

Auto insurance is mandatory (in my state), but you can choose whichever company you like. Since it isn't linked to your employer, you aren't placed in the position where employer-subsidized coverage is the only type you can afford. You can also choose the extent of insurance once you've gone above the state minimum. There are factors in your lifestyle that can lower your payments, because they lower your risk. As a result, our auto insurance payment is one-fifth of our health insurance payment, and that's after the company has paid its part.

Though pet health insurance is available, it isn't mandatory or common. Veterinary medicine simply cost what it cost, and you pay at time of service. You can choose your veterinarian. As a result, most families that own a pet are capable of affording that pet. Veterinarians do not charge $100 for a band-aid. They know that the families involved will be paying the entire bill, and if their care is too expensive, their customers will go elsewhere. What about people who really can't pay for their pet's care? Organizations abound to help them. I had my cats spayed when I was a college student with a part-time job, and I had it done at a mobile unit for less than half the price of an office visit. The care was just as good.

You may notice that neither of my examples involve increased government regulation, intervention, or spending.

5 comments:

  1. While I entirely agree with your post and your ideas (as usual), I do think that both of those examples are mildly flawed: you don't have to have a car (and thus don't necessarily need insurance), and you don't have to have a pet (and thus don't need insurance [mandatory or not]).

    However, by the very fact of your existence, you're alive, and thus mandatory health insurance would be a drain that couldn't be avoided as one could if they couldn't afford a car or a pet.

    Can you think of some better examples?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is there a reason you can think of why they're flawed examples, other than that you don't need to have a car or pet? :)

    If you are in perfect health, you do not need healthcare. Even if you are in poor health, if you can afford healthcare, you do not need health insurance.

    You mention that mandatory health insurance is a drain that cannot be avoided. This is true, and a reason why I disagree with mandatory health insurance. The auto and pet insurance examples, however show merely that a free-market solution will give you better service for less money than a heavily-regulated system.

    If I had to solve the healthcare debate personally as "queen for the day", I would merely institute a system by which healthcare spending, whether through insurance or not, was tax-deductable. I would put no minimum requirement on that deduction. If you spent it on healthcare, you don't pay taxes on it.

    And that's it.

    People would eventually realize that paying less for a catastrophic policy and paying for your own healthcare saves money unless you are really in poor health. Insurance companies would learn that, to get people to pay, they had to reduce their rates. Competition would spring up. You could no longer lose your health insurance just by losing your job. (But you can't now! COBRA, remember? Pah. Useless. A family barely making ends meet and paying $150/month on insurance can't afford $700/month for COBRA.)

    One of the scariest things that the current health insurance bill has in it is a requirement that insurance companies not be allowed to reject any applicants AND not be allowed to raise the rates of risky prospects. That's going to lead to a situation where it doesn't matter to your finances whether you take care of yourself or not, because you can't lower your costs by doing so.

    Auto insurance, by the way, is an excellent example for me and many other In-Betweener families. You live in a certain area. You work in another. Unless you have enough money to move every time you get a different job AND houses/apartments available close enough to your place of work AND grocery/medical/etc., you will need a car.

    In other words, a car is not a luxury in all cases, just as health insurance is not a luxury in all cases. In my area, for instance, we live 8 miles from my husband's job, 3 miles from mine, and 12 miles from the grocery store, with no buses, no trains, no trams, no subways, and during much of our route, no sidewalks. Not only is a car a necessity, but this family needs two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not really, no. Hence why I said the examples were 'mildly flawed'. My issue was entirely with the fact that car and pet insurance are both things that can be avoided by 'opting out' of owning either a car or a pet.

    In other news, how're you doing financially? I know you had mentioned a while back that things were getting a bit tight because of the economy and the lil' one, and I was praying for you. Just wanted to know how well God answered my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your prayers have been heard! :) Thank you so much!

    A good part of the reason why I have been sparse in my posts is because I was offered tutoring work for the month of July. I took on less than I was offered, and it's still just a little too much for a mother of a three-month-old! I'm working three hours a day, five days a week, and it's going to pay something like 2/3rds of our medical bills.

    I hadn't taken money from our car fund to pay medical bills because I knew our cars were both on the brink. My husband's car utterly died, and my car's problem finally manifested as something readily fixable (water pump, radiator and hoses) barely within our budget. The hospital let me put off the bill paying for a month to take care of my car.

    Here comes another example of God's providence... an excellent commuting car, a Honda Civic in perfect mechanical condition, came up for sale at our trusted mechanic's shop and we were able to buy it and pay registration etc. with less than our car budget!

    In addition, a dear friend of mine asked me to build a gaming computer for him and overpaid on purpose to help me out a bit. (I charge 10% of parts for build cost and he paid closer to 18%)

    When God provides, God provides! I'll be able to pay off the medical bills, keep the household going, and start work on the car fund again. Now all we have to do is build up that fund again before my car dies... but it's hard to be afraid when God provides like this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's always good to hear about how God provides for His children. I'm glad to hear you're doing well, and that He's been active in your life.

    ReplyDelete