Saturday, July 6, 2013

Fairness

When I was pretty young, maybe around that nebulous area from 3rd to 5th grade, my old church had a talent contest. No categories, no rules except, of course, for basic decency... any child who wanted to show up was welcome to come up on stage and do something for the crowd. Prizes were given out. They were pretty dinky prizes, of course, but I wanted one badly.

I was a piano player, and a good one, too. I selected a challenging piece that I loved, something beautiful, and I learned it by heart. I played it over and over. I worked through the rough spots over and over. I mastered that piece and learned to play it with emphasis.

There was another girl in my neighborhood who also played piano. She was a born genius. She was incredibly gifted. She taught herself how to play from a very young age. When she entered the competition, I knew one of the prizes would be hers. On the day of the competition, she played a song that she had written herself.

At my turn, I sat up there feeling nervous as anything, but I made a good start and carried it through brilliantly. I didn't miss a single note. I remembered my emphasis. I picked a darn good song and I played it well. I left the bench knowing that I had done as well as I could have hoped for. As I heard the others, mostly singers, do their piece one by one, I knew I had done well enough for a coveted prize. Most of the singers flubbed their parts. Few were on tune. Some simply got stage fright and refused to perform at all.

Then the prizes were given out. My neighbor got one, of course. The other five or six prizes were handed out among the singers, several of whom had made huge mistakes in their parts. After the show, I asked, politely and curiously, why my piece had not been good enough to merit a prize. I was not being rude or demanding. I was confounded, and I was seeking understanding.

"Oh, you were definitely good enough! But we got together and decided that since there were only two piano players, it wasn't fair to give both of them prizes. There were a lot more singers, so we gave the rest of the prizes among them. It was only fair."

This was my first experience with the term "fair" as it is now used in political discussion, and I learned a great deal. I learned that everything I was taught in inspirational movies and stories did not count. I learned that it didn't matter how much I dreamed, how long I practiced, how hard I tried, or how well I did. A society built on "fairness" could simply decide to deny me anything I earned for relatively arbitrary reasons.

Now I could look back at those cheap silly prizes - my neighbor got a simple curly drinking straw - and laugh that it ever meant so much to me. Truthfully, it didn't matter if the prize was a piece of paper, or simply a verbal "well done". From that day on, I never, ever regarded the argument "it's only fair" with anything but hostile suspicion. And to this day, the easiest way to turn me off to a proposed law or regulation is to use the phrase...

"It's only fair."

6 comments:

  1. Brilliant. I hadn't though of the sheer *arbitraryness* that is inherent in using "fairness" as a prime metric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Followed your blog comment from Domestic Felicity (about breast feeding, which I replied to with an article I read if you're interested) and have enjoyed what I've read thus far! I feel quite like-minded regarding many things you have written about. This post in particular is really so, so true. How often are contests held only to have everyone receive a prize, regardless of talent or ability? I think the worst thing to happen to a generation of young people is the "it's only fair" mentality. It breeds entitlement. Sad to say, it's rampant in the Church. I get emails and newsletters on a regular basis of young families wanting my family to support their Bible college tuition, or mission trip, and sometimes it's a letter stating that God really wants them to have a new laptop so they can attend Bible college online, so won't you please pray about donating to our laptop fund? BUT, I digress. ;) That's a separate topic in and of itself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Leanna! :) I finally saw your comment on Domestic Felicity, and I do agree with what you said there. (I commented there too.)

    I live in New England, where people get kind of embarrassed about the whole Support Letter thing, and they'll tell me, "I'm gonna send you a letter because they expect me to do it, so just ignore it. Give what you are led to give if you can, and we'll leave it at that." I know, funny, isn't it?

    Sometimes I wonder if the problem in the Church is that we take the lessons about salvation being free for all and all being equally sinful a little... wrong... and mistakenly apply some arbitrary standard of "fairness" as a result. After all, in Christ, "we're *all* winners!"

    I am of the belief that the Old Testament and New Testament form an important balance. In the Old Testament laws, you see a very good form of true fairness, importance that people keep what they earn, earn what they keep, and deserve what they get. To apply mercy without justice is to misunderstand why mercy is necessary, and to apply justice without mercy is to be ruthless.

    I'm a little tired tonight, so I might be a little scattered. I'm going to leave it at that for now. Further discussion encouraged!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Longtime - no talk ;)

    I remember the first time I told my dad something he wanted me to do, as opposed to what my brother was doing, was unfair and he replied, rather exasperatedly with the honest truth... instead of trying to make me feel better.

    As I recall it, it was "Life isn't Fair. Now go do what I asked you to do because it needs doing."

    I grew up on and around a farm. Can you tell? ;)

    I find myself reminding a lot of people about that, in my current line of work. Since I now work IT for a hospital. A big hospital, which has a lot of income (Billions, not millions) the idea for some people that we've suddenly started tightening our belts (honestly, probably a little late) and are looking at doing things more efficiently has a lot of people saying "But that's not Fair."

    Its not about being fair. Its about doing what needs doing, and finding a way to do it with what you have on hand. We're IT. We don't make a hospital money, we cost it money. Our job is to make their jobs easier. When we fail to do that - we will get restructured. Instead of bitching about it, put your shoulder to the wheel and lets figure out how to make what we have work.

    And yes. I did once say that at a Team Meeting.

    My boss Clapped.

    My co-workers... didn't so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Frankly, I haven't the slightest idea. It seems to be half up, half down since yesterday. Let me know if you find anything out.

      Delete