Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Becoming Rich

Thomas Sowell has an excellent article up today about rich people and how they got that way. This is not going to be the exact topic of my post today, but it's worth a read.

I learned a lot from my uncle, my mother's sister's husband. Though he is not related to me by blood, he might as well be. One of the few solidly INTJ people in the world, like me, he was able to help me understand how people like me can move through the world without breaking us... or it. One of the most important things he taught me was how to become rich.

Now, I chose my words very carefully. "Becoming" rich is not the same as "being" rich. The method doesn't guarantee any particular measure of wealth in any particular time. It merely ensures that you will remain on the road of improvement, and you will be better off than the way that you were.

These days, advice about life and work tends to be the kind of advice you'd expect from a very wealthy society. "Find out what makes you happy. Settle for nothing less." That is all very well and good when all businesses are booming and the world is full of friendly bosses just looking for the next CEO. Such environments, though, are historically very rare and unusual, existing only in small parts of the world for mere years or decades at a time. You can't rely on them, especially in this economy.

Of course it's a good thing to find out what makes you happy and strive towards it. Rush Limbaugh encourages his listeners to find what makes you happy and then find out how to make money doing it. He cites that as the secret to his success. It's not the only secret, though, and it is not the most important if what you want is to become rich.

Now let me explain my terms once again. People hear the phrase "become rich" and they think that you're automatically talking about turning from minimum-wage poverty to, well, Rush Limbaugh wealthy. Not everybody is going to do that. Not everybody actually wants it, no matter what they think. By the time I'm done explaining this, you'll understand why. However, if you are in dire straits, you do not have to become rich for your entire life. You only have to do it until you are closer to where you want to be.

The first principle to becoming richer is to do anything (within moral standing) that will get you paid. Nowadays there are too many young people who believe that a certain job is beneath them. They graduate with big-sounding degrees, and they've learned to believe that they should only have to work within their specialty. You can't have this mindset if you want to become richer. If you are searching for a job, you should be willing to take what comes your way. My father has worked as an electronics technician, a system designer, a laser builder... and a carpenter for a cabinet company.

My uncle has told me that he has trouble understanding why some people claim that they are just plain unable to get a job. He taught me that you can get a job as long as you're willing to do anything for pay and let enough people know about it. It may be dirty and unpleasant. You may be digging ditches, or working in a factory. Still, it will be work, and you will get paid. There will be times in your life when that will be the most important thing you can do just to keep yourself and your family going.

Now once you've got that job, you can work your way up. You can find out what you enjoy and try to make money doing it. But the first step is to simply get a job, any job that will feed you, or at least help you make ends meet. You may have to lower your expectations, especially in a poor economy. You may have to lower your standard of living for a time. If you want to survive, however, there will be times in your life when  you simply have to take what you can get. That dirty, tiring job should be viewed, not as a disgrace, but as the beginning of your rise.

2 comments:

  1. Though dreaming to be rich is tough but let’s face it, knowing how to become rich is very vital in our life. Every day we keep on thinking how to earn more, what are the ways to become rich, well I believe that knowing what you are is something important in your life and it's a common tool for success. Believe in what you have and try as you can to avoid obstructions and temptations. You need to work hard for a common goal and your motive must be to develop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, part of "becoming" rich is realizing just how much you want to give up and just how rich you want to become. :) Personally, my family could have nearly twice as much monetary wealth if I was willing to dump my kids in public school and go off to a full-time job as a degreed software engineer. Neither my husband nor I are willing to do what it takes to get rich in that manner.

    We've had times when "becoming rich" has been more important than our desires. I've had times when I've worked though I didn't want to, because we needed to become richer to afford food and shelter. But the key is this: If you *must* become richer, then you must be willing to do what it takes. Once you are as rich as you need to be, you can start thinking about gaining your wealth by doing what you like to do.

    ReplyDelete