Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Who keeps your brother?

So the news is buzzing about Obama's dealings with this organization called "My Brother's Keeper", which has something to do with tutoring black teenagers. The phrase was used by Obama himself in a call for the government to interfere in our lives as much as possible 'for our own good'.

Of course, his use of this phrase and his support of this group is horribly funny for several reasons.

1. The very phrase "my brother's keeper", as Obama pointed out as a misguided attempt to justify his point, was spoken by Cain to God when God asked Cain where his brother Abel was. Of course, Cain had ample reason to know where Abel was, having just killed him in anger. However, all that aside, assuming as Cain did that God did not know about the murder, it could have been a valid question.

"Am I my brother's keeper?"

What he meant by it was this: My brother is a grown man, an adult. He doesn't need someone to hold his hand. He doesn't need me to always know where he is and what he's doing. He doesn't need someone else making all his decisions for him as if he was a child. My brother doesn't need a 'keeper'. In short, "my brother's keeper" was a sarcastic barb meant to make the point that adults don't need other people living their lives for them - the exact opposite of the way Obama used the phrase.

Shorter version: Obama took seriously a sarcastic phrase spoken by a liar and murderer.

2. Obama hasn't been his own brother's keeper. Barack Obama still has a half-brother in Kenya who still lives in a hut made of garbage because it's the best he's got. Despite the fact that the average monthly salary in Kenya is 1% of Obama's presidential salary, Obama can't seem to spare a single dollar for his own family. Of course, that's just his half-brother. He also has an aunt living on government welfare funds in Massachusetts, despite being an illegal immigrant.

Even if we play the sarcastic phrase straight, as Obama did, isn't it telling that he cares more about making other people help strangers than about helping his own family with his own money?

3. Obama doesn't treat black tutors very well when they don't fit into his political agenda. Now, my first two points may make it seem as if I object to people tutoring black teens. Far from it. I've done it myself (I am willing to tutor those in need and many of them have been black and teenaged), and I think it is a solidly good idea to do what we can, as a personal and Christian care for those in need rather than a government program or presidential guilt-trip, to alleviate some of the burdens caused by the rampant fatherlessness in the black communities.

However, one of the men well-known in his community for tutoring black teens in need as part of his many contributions to society was nearly killed by a criminal whom Obama identified as a metaphorical son. Protecting tutors of black teens seems to mean nothing to Obama when he can use an incident to inflame racial tensions and ensure that the only people able to safely tutor black teens are blacks who have not "gone white", "turned Oreo", or "become Uncle Toms" (I'll spare you the Uncle Tom pet peeve today), and therefore are likely even less qualified to aid these people than the people they are supposed to be aiding.

Then again, with Common Core coming into full swing especially in the big cities where underprivileged black teens tend to live, who will know how to tutor them anymore?

2 comments:

  1. A lot of this is very good, but there's one thing in particular that's stuck with me since I read this last week.

    I didn't know that about the phrase.

    I grew up in an atheist household, and have only had minor encounters with theology since. I've considered getting a children's bible in order to... kind of get the background of all of the concepts everyone else holds in their head, without requiring quite the effort of reading the entire KJV. (I've never gotten very far when I tried that.)


    But anyway, that's stuck with me because a lot of references make sense now when they went over my head before. There's an episode of Gargoyles called Her Brother's Keeper... where Elisa is trying, using every tool at her disposal, to make her brother not work for Xanatos. Which works out poorly, and creates a gulf between them, because he's an adult and doesn't appreciate her trying to leverage family, guilt, and everything else so that he does what she thinks is best.

    Of course, the audience knows Xanatos is a bad guy. So I'd always taken it to just mean that she's trying to protect him. But.. no, it works a zillion times better with the context of what "brother's keeper" means.

    The rest of it is golden. And the choice of phrase does indeed suddenly make the organization and others that would use a similar banner... suspicious, I guess is the word.

    But mostly I'm overjoyed to understand something I hadn't before. Thank you. :-)

    --akilika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to oblige. :) Gargoyles is an awesome series. I recently got hold of it for my 12-year-old to watch.

      Delete